Welcome Aboard!

WELCOME ABOARD
I'm delighted that you have taken the time to drop anchor here at my little teaching blog: Sailing Though 1st Grade! Oh, the places we will go! Enjoy the voyage.

Dec 11, 2011

Tis The Season Syllable Sort

Tis the Season to... practice multi-syllabic word reading and sorting by syllables.

My little first graders are having so much fun sounding out "big words" now that they have most of their sound spellings under their belts...  So, I thought it would be fun to create a Christmas-themed syllable-sort. I haven't yet decided whether I will use it as a whole class activity, as a word-work station, or maybe as a write the room... but whichever I choose, I think they will have fun with this one!

The activity includes 3 sorting mats: 1, 2, and 3 syllables, 30 Christmas-themed word cards (with picture cues and without - to allow for differentiation), a recording sheeting, and answer key... everything I need for one of my December literacy stations.

The complete syllable-sort activity is available for in my TPT store. You can also download the recording sheet HERE for free. Simply use your own word list or cards or have students locate 1, 2, and 3-syllable words from a book they are reading and sort on this form. Happy Holidays!

1 comment: